Are you ready to start your color journey?
In this tutorial you will learn to create a simple color wheel starting with three primary hues. There are many color wheel theories out there but this is one area I prefer to keep simple. Because color can be a huge problem I recommend focusing on warm & cool tones and value.
To create the color wheel like this one follow these steps;
- Start with an 11″x15″ paper
- Draw a 5″ circle
- Divide the circle into thirds starting with the very top
- Place the lightest yellow value at the top (I used New Gamboge)
- Place the blue on the right mark (I used Cobalt)
- Place red on the left hand mark (I used Alizarin crimson)
- Now add three marks between the original three
- Now add your secondary hues using equal amounts of the primary colors
- To complete color wheel add a mark between all colors on the wheel
- Now add tertiary hues by mixing colors that represent each of the two that the mark is in-between
Materials Used In Demo
Alizarin crimson hue
Blick Spiral-bound Pad 9×12